The SB-5000 AF Speedlight takes Nikon's acclaimed Creative Lighting System with Advanced Wireless Lighting to the next level with both traditional optical wireless control and powerful new radio control.
Introducing Nikon's new flagship Speedlight, a flash designed to empower the most seasoned professionals and passionate enthusiasts. The SB-5000 AF Speedlight takes Nikon's acclaimed Creative Lighting System with Advanced Wireless Lighting to the next level with both traditional optical wireless control and powerful new radio control. Place up to six groups of remote flashes out of view, behind obstacles—even in other rooms—up to 98 feet away. Designed for fast shooting at weddings, commercial shoots or on the red carpet, the SB-5000 AF Speedlight also introduces the world's first hot-shoe mount flash cooling system* for more than 100 consecutive shots at full output, all in a smaller design with streamlined operation. Whether building a new lighting system or integrating with your existing system, the SB-5000 AF Speedlight opens exciting new lighting possibilities.
New radio controlled communication
The SB-5000 AF Speedlight introduces powerful radio control Advanced Wireless Lighting (AWL) communication to Nikon's innovative Creative Lighting System for exciting lighting possibilities. When used with a compatible Nikon DSLR** with the optional WR-A10 (Wireless Remote Adapter) when attached to D5 and WR-R10 Wireless Remote Controller (transceiver), you can control up to 6 groups (A/B/C/D/E/F) of SB-5000 AF Speedlight behind obstacles, around corners, in bright sunlight—even in different rooms—up to 98 feet away. Of course, the SB-5000 AF Speedlight also integrates seamlessly with Nikon's optical wireless Speedlights and DSLRs.
World's first hot-shoe mount flash cooling system
For studio, wedding, event and action photographers, continuous shooting is the name of the game. The SB-5000 AF Speedlight can handle more than 100 consecutive firings at full output without overheating, thanks to an innovative built-in cooling system and a brilliant heat-shedding design. For TTL shooters, this means a new level of lighting control while capturing decisive moments. Great shots don't wait for a flash to be ready, and neither should you.
Smaller and easier to operate
Designed for photographers who rely on portable lighting, the SB-5000 AF Speedlight is smaller and easier to use. It has a smaller footprint and provides streamlined access to frequently used functions such as Flash Mode, Zoom Head Position and Flash Compensation Value. Like a DSLR camera, the SB-5000 AF Speedlight has an “Info” button for quick access to your favorite settings. For more fluid operation when using radio control, you can adjust settings right from a compatible camera's** menu.
Part of the Nikon Creative Lighting System
In addition to the new radio control with compatible cameras, you can use the SB-5000 AF Speedlight on-camera as a Master Flash to control other remote Speedlights (up to 3 Groups: A/B/C and 4 channels), or use it off-camera wirelessly as a remote flash controlled by either your camera's built-in flash (compatible cameras), another Speedlight or the SU-800 Wireless Speedlight Commander. You can even mix optical wireless control (Groups A/B/C) with radio control (Groups D/E/F). For studio photographers, the SB-5000 AF Speedlight is equipped with Unified Flash Control and can be controlled from a personal computer using the optional Camera Control Pro 2 (Version 2.23 or later) software.
*As of January 5, 2016
**Compatible with the D5 and D500
‡ As of January 5, 2016
- Radio control Advanced Wireless Lighting that does not require line-of-sight to work
- Flash cooling system provides more than 100 consecutive shots at full output
- Streamlined access to your frequently used functions such as Flash Mode, Zoom Head Position and Flash Compensation Value
- Fully compatible with all current optical control Speedlights
- Guide Number: 34.5 m/113 ft. (at 35 mm) 55 m/180 ft. (at 200 mm) (FX format, standard illumination pattern) (at ISO 100)
- Lens Coverage: 24 to 200mm lens, 14mm with wide panel (in FX format)
- Bounce Function (Tilt): Flash head tilts down to -7° or up to 90° with click-stops at -7°, 0°, 45°, 60°, 75°, 90°
- Bounce Function (Rotate): Flash head rotates horizontally 180° to the left and right with click-stops at 0°, 30°, 60°, 75°, 90°, 120°, 150°, 180°
- Power Source: Four 1.5 V alkaline AA-size batteries
- Dimensions: (Approx.) 2.87" x 5.39" x 4.09"
- Weight: (Approx. without batteries) 14.9 oz. (420 g)
- Included accessories: AS-22 Speedlight Stand, SW-15H Nikon Diffusion Dome, SZ-4FL Fluorescent Filter, SS-5000 Soft Case, Accessory Pouch, SZ-4TN Incandescent Filter, User’s Manual